Edmonton, Alberta – May 15, 2020
As industries adjust to the new normal of social distancing and remote work, Cybertech’s continued ability to support our clients using established and new technologies has become extremely valuable and critical to supporting essential businesses.
Remote support/project work has long been part of Cybertech’s services, and in the current situation it’s become more important than ever. We currently are supporting essential businesses and their critical infrastructure in the energy, water, wastewater, food and manufacturing industries at a time when the world needs these services and products the most.
Cybertech started providing remote solutions years ago when cellular modems and associated networking technologies made it possible to monitor field equipment such as wellsite skids and pump stations in isolated locations. Gaining real-time data and control access for this equipment helped businesses save the large cost of physically dispatching operators to remote areas.
Best practices have been developed for network security including two-factor authentication (2FA), encryption and location/user/audit tracking. The Internet of Things (IoT) model brings both opportunity and risk, and we have implemented remote support models that safely and securely allow remote access and support.
This expertise meant that Cybertech was ready to keep client systems running as the current global situation unfolded, and we’ve been able to remotely support customers using their preferred technologies and processes. Over the last few weeks, we’ve worked with:
- TeamViewer remote desktop support
- Microsoft Teams/Skype for Business/Cisco Webex/Zoom/GoToMeeting collaboration tools
- Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP), jump boxes and cybersecurity layers for both IT and OT systems/networks
- Closed user group (CUG) and APN cellular networks
- Multiple enterprise VPN solutions
We’ve used combinations of these technologies to:
- Remotely commission control systems along with local maintenance personnel
- Perform functional testing with client remote witnessing and sign-off
- Perform online control system changes and troubleshooting
- Support turnaround activities while collaborating with onsite engineering teams in real-time
- Perform remote site acceptance testing of devices in cooperation with staff on site
These examples demonstrate our ability to efficiently, safely and securely perform remote work while remaining compliant with our customer’s cybersecurity policies.
Cybertech’s approach to remote work and support safeguards client infrastructure with minimal to no disruptions to operations. Our experience doing project work on-the-run (while systems are online), both locally and remotely, ensures that businesses remain in control of their processes.
Supporting systems during this unprecedented time shouldn’t require a compromise to client security policies. The new normal for Cybertech is the same as the old one – performing quality work and earning the trust of customers one project at a time.